Friday, July 26, 2013

Personal Responsibility in ALL things?


     I realize that this will upset a few people and probably even dampen my “popularity” for a while, but I feel a great responsibility to say these things.  Most of you will understand that thousands of people are looking to us for guidance and some are getting mixed signals. 
     I am deeply concerned about the large amounts of church people that are peddling “quick fix”. “do nothing” weight loss products.  I for one definitely believe that gluttony and over indulgence are huge sins in the church and that a better life of a moderate, more natural diet and minimal exercise would be Biblical and Godly.  (I lost some of you already)  But the problem is, many are promoting chemicals, herbs and systems that are faddish and attempt to remove the personal responsibility of the weight problem.  Personal responsibility is something that the church should be absolutely encouraging not discouraging.  I have listened to many of the pitches for these products and they almost always hurt rather than help the idea of personal responsibility.  They say things like.  “Eat what you want and lose weight too.”  “Just take this product and don’t change anything about your lifestyle”.  “Watch the pounds and inches MAGICALLY fall off.”  You may think that I am being ridiculous and radical but this sounds like a charismatic, “come to Jesus and He will give you money and a gorgeous spouse and a great job” routine.  These products sound like something that would be promoted by the likes of Joel Osteen.  How can we tell a generation that they can eat as much as they want, not exercise, fill up on sugar, fat and caffeine AND lose weight and then expect them to believe that it doesn’t work the same way with not paying your tithes and offerings, not attending church faithfully, not having a prayer life???
     I also am concerned about the way that it is presented in subtle undertones that lead people to believe that skinny and pretty equals happy and content.  Is that the taste we want to leave in their mouths?  That sounds like something Hollywood movies or MTV would try to slip in. 
     It worries me when Godly people can seemingly remove their spiritual direction long enough to make money or can possibly do something wrong as long as the ultimate outcome is right.  I cringe at the idea of some people believing that God would want ministries and ministers making income off of telling people that they can have something for nothing.  To me that is the slippery slope. 
     I know that this will create a little controversy and some are even going to say that this makes me look like a flip flopper or a hypocrite from my last major “controversy”.  But that is not true.  I feel the same way both times.  Do not expect me to start hating or mistreating people that sell these products.  Many of them are my close personal friends and I love everyone and try to show it every time.  Many of these people are very spiritual and I have a lot of confidence in them and I am sure that I am doing some things that they wish I would stop doing too.  (like posting on fb  haha)  While none of us are perfect we should all be free to speak our hearts to each other without risk of being alienated.  It could actually help us all mature one from the other. 
     Some may immediately want to bring up my wife and her weight loss.  I will take care of that right now.  My wife lost almost 60 pounds in about a year and a half and did it 100% by eating smaller portions, educating herself on nutrition and very mild and minimal exercise.  In doing so she has made herself healthier in the long run, improved her lifestyle biblically and responsibly and not brought any reproach on her testimony or our ministry. 
     This is not a scold or a scandal.  This is a clarification.  Please do not use this as an opportunity to start a big fb war.  I didn’t post this on your page, I posted it on mine.  Any rude, crude and argumentative comments will be removed. 
     It seems I spend much of my ministry trying to show people that one radical view over another doesn’t make either side right.  There are right principals and there are right ways to go about them.  And everyone of them takes some PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.
     I love everyone of you and this is how Brother Sloggett feels but do not hold these concerns to anyone else’s charge but mine.  God bless you.
Your humble servant,
Rev. D. Todd Sloggett

No comments:

Post a Comment